Spirit Communications has immediate employment opportunities in Columbia, SC for an Advanced IP Network Engineer.
Spirit Communications is a Facilities based /Broadsoft Switch enabled Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia and operates our own Fiber/MPLS network. This Powerful Network empowers us to provide innovative communication solutions to a cross section of commercial businesses, state and federal government agencies as well as specialized focus with healthcare organizations. Our partnerships with major telecommunications carriers allow Spirit to provide a Carolina's focus with a Global reach.
New Products include SD-WAN, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions, and a growing security suite featuring Spirit Managed Firewall. Spirit also has an extensive line of managed IT and cloud service solutions.
PalmettoNet, a Spirit Communications company, is one of the largest providers of digital fiber optic networks in the Carolinas. A carrier's carrier with over 5,000 fiber route miles, PalmettoNet serves the needs of prominent telecommunications carriers who provide wireless, wire line interstate, intrastate, Fiber to the Tower and interexchange service.
Spirit is headquartered in Columbia, S.C. and has regional offices in Charleston and Greenville, SC as well as Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington, N.C, and coming soon Raleigh, N.C. and Georgia.
Successful Advanced IP Network Engineer candidate will work with team to design, implement, and maintain a diverse and extensive IP network.
- Reliable Transportation
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency with Internet and Microsoft Office applications to include, but not limited to: Visio, Word and Excel
- Must be detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multi task effectively
- Must have effective interpersonal skills to interact successfully with customers, management and team members to ensure customer satisfaction
- Must be analytical and have proven problem solving abilities
- Must be able to prioritize and re-prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines
- Must be willing and able to adjust work schedule to support shifts of various lengths and start/stop times based on workload
- Must be able to successfully pass the pre-employment drug screening & background check
- Other duties as assigned
- Complete design and implementation of all core network system components (e.g., MPLS and Internet core network)
- Evaluate new technologies for networks, applications, and platforms
- Design, test, and document new IP applications
- Validate switch and router platforms for field deployment
- Perform maintenance activities including system patching and software upgrades
- Proactively monitor the Internet peering network utilization for ensuring bandwidth is available for all subscribers under normal, peak, and failover conditions
- Third level support for complicated core outages and troubleshooting
- Negotiate Internet Peering Partnerships
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field; equivalent work experience, or a combination thereof
- Experience in designing and implementing complex network projects
- Extensive experience with both IPV4 and IPV6
- Extensive experience with MPLS (including VPLS, and VPRN (VRF))
- Extensive experience with switching and routing protocols (including RIP, OSPF, and BGP) including provisioning of such devices
- Working knowledge of industry leading switches, routers and firewalls
- Extensive experience with testing and network trending tools
- Three to five experience of Internet network traffic engineering
- Three plus years of experience troubleshooting complex network issues
- Working knowledge of Alcatel, Cisco, Adtran, and FortiNet firewall and VPN devices
- Working knowledge of VM environments, SDWAN, SDN and NFV
- Fundamentals of network security including experience with VPN, IPSec, firewall, and DMZ
- Fundamentals of Internet transit, public and private peering to include traffic engineering techniques
- Four years engineering experience. Experience can be full time or internship/co-op
- CCNP or higher level of certification – equivalent certifications with other vendors will be considered
Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 25 lbs.
Please visit https://www.spiritcom.com/careers to view current employment opportunities at Spirit Communications. Applicants should apply separately for each position in which they have an interest. Resumes will be given consideration and reviewed against the posted qualifications needed to fill the selected position. You must indicate the specific position for which you are applying to be considered for employment. Resumes submitted without this information will not be considered for employment.
Resumes in response to posted positions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org along with salary histories. Spirit Communications is unable to accept resumes to be placed on file.