Spirit Communications has immediate employment opportunities for a GIS Mapping Technician in Columbia, SC.
Spirit Communications is a Facilities based /Broadsoft Switch enabled Copetitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia and operates our own Fiber/ MPLS network. This Powerful Network empowers us to provide innovative communication solutions to a cross section of commercial businesses, state and federal government agencies as well as specialized focus with healthcare organizations. Our partnerships with major telecommunications carriers allow Spirit to provide a Carolina’s focus with a Global reach.
New Products include SD-WAN, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions, and a growing security suite featuring Spirit Managed Firewall. Spirit also has an extensive line of managed IT and cloud service solutions.
PalmettoNet, a Spirit Communications company, is one of the largest providers of digital fiber optic networks in the Carolinas. A carrier's carrier with over 5,000 fiber route miles, PalmettoNet serves the needs of prominent telecommunications carriers who provide wireless, wire line interstate, intrastate, Fiber to the Tower and interexchange service.
Spirit is headquartered in Columbia, S.C. and has regional offices in Charleston and Greenville, S.C. as well as Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington N.C, and coming soon Raleigh, N.C., and Georgia.
The purpose of this position is to utilize GIS mapping systems to accurately design and represent Fiber to the Tower (FTTT) & Fiber to the Enterprise, Outside Plant (OSP). This position is primarily an office environment design position utilizing the latest GIS and Fiber Design software, but will require periodic field work. This position is based in Columbia, South Carolina, but may require travel to future Spirit Communication markets outside of South Carolina.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency with Internet and Microsoft Office applications to include, but not limited to: Word and Excel
- Must have the ability to utilize a computer keyboard and monitor for extended periods
- Must be detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multi task effectively
- Must have effective interpersonal skills to interact successfully with customers, management and team members to ensure customer satisfaction
- Must be able to prioritize and re-prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines
- Must be analytical and have proven problem solving abilities
- Pre-employment background check & drug screening
- Other related duties as assigned
- Work with Spirit Communications Engineering & Planning Design Team and review current OSP design to understand principles and practices of current Spirit FTTT & FTTE design
- Perform database updating for Outside Plant Infrastructure in CvFiber, Circuit Vision, and Fiber Net systems
- Assist in planning of fiber optic network design for Fiber to the Tower deployment &Fiber to the Enterprise business customers
- Work with OSP Construction and Splice teams to produce maps of the existing, engineered & planned outside Plant (OSP) design
- Work with Field maintenance personnel, change control, and Construction teams to ensure OSP and address data in all systems accurately reflect As-built state
- Ability to utilize survey reports, maps, drawings, aerial photography and other geographic data for consideration in designing FTTT projects
- Update existing Cv Fiber/Fiber Net and other GIS databases utilizing As-Built drawings and mobile electronic data collection
- Research and assist in obtaining Private Easements when needed for City ROW Permitting
- Assist in documenting completed fiber construction service orders on a daily basis in Circuit Vision and CvFiber
- Produce monthly reports detailing footage for existing, engineered, & planned OSP by aerial, Underground, Fiber Type, Fiber Count by market, by use (Metro or Long Haul) with available capacity
- Direct audit work of field personnel to identify fiber assets where complete As-Built may not exist
- Review tickets assigned by field personnel to fix or modify/update records after fiber damage, road moves, and audits
High School diploma. Associates Degree Preferred.
- Prefer 2 years experience with Fiber Design
- Experience with Google Maps/Earth, AutoCad, ESRI, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite
- Attention to detail is paramount
- Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions
- Ability to work independently on multifaceted projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to present facts clearly and accurately in graphic form
- Experience working to tight deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Must be able to work overtime as required
Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 25 lbs.
Please visit https://www.spiritcom.com/careers to view current employment opportunities at Spirit Communications. Applicants should apply separately for each position in which they have an interest. Resumes will be given consideration and reviewed against the posted qualifications needed to fill the selected position. You must indicate the specific position for which you are applying to be considered for employment. Resumes submitted without this information will not be considered for employment.
Resumes in response to posted positions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org along with salary histories. Spirit Communications is unable to accept resumes to be placed on file.