Spirit Communications has immediate employment opportunities in Columbia, SC for a Network Design Technician.
Spirit Communications is a Facilities based /Broadsoft Switch enabled Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia and operates our own Fiber/MPLS network. This Powerful Network empowers us to provide innovative communication solutions to a cross section of commercial businesses, state and federal government agencies as well as specialized focus with healthcare organizations. Our partnerships with major telecommunications carriers allow Spirit to provide a Carolina's focus with a Global reach.
New Products include SD-WAN, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions, and a growing security suite featuring Spirit Managed Firewall. Spirit also has an extensive line of managed IT and cloud service solutions.
PalmettoNet, a Spirit Communications company, is one of the largest providers of digital fiber optic networks in the Carolinas. A carrier's carrier with over 5,000 fiber route miles, PalmettoNet serves the needs of prominent telecommunications carriers who provide wireless, wire line interstate, intrastate, Fiber to the Tower and interexchange service.
Spirit is headquartered in Columbia, S.C. and has regional offices in Charleston and Greenville, SC as well as Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington, N.C, and coming soon Raleigh, N.C., and Georgia.
The Network Designer will be required to design, build, and test new circuits for wholesale customers. This includes circuit creation on SONET, Ethernet, TDM and DWDM platforms. The specialist will work closely with our engineering and operations groups to ensure circuits are completed to customer specification and in a timely manner. The specialist will also be required to plan and initiate large scale grooms with our Network Operations Center. Excellent communication skills are necessary for direct contact with customers on a daily basis. The specialist will also utilize existing software to track network capacity and document circuit paths. The specialist will assist with network outages and troubleshooting customer issues when required by the Network Operations Center.
- Reliable transportation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent customer service and telephone skills
- Proficiency with Internet and Microsoft Office applications to include, but not limited to: Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Must have the ability to utilize a computer keyboard and monitor for extended periods
- Must be detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Must have effective interpersonal skills to interact successfully with customers, management and team members to ensure customer satisfaction
- Must be able to prioritize and re-prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check & drug screening
- Responsible for maintaining network integrity within Spirit service area
- Circuit Vision database add, modify and maintenance
- Troubleshoot TDM/Ethernet networks
- Design and Provision new circuits on SONET, DWDM, and MPLS network
- Maintain accurate records of circuit assignments and network utilization
- Communicate directly with wholesale customers to ensure circuits are built to specification and by requested due date
- Coordinate circuit installation for Spirit Telecommunications
- Assist with testing and turn-up of new circuits
- Work off shift for window maintenance
- Coordinate circuit grooms when necessary to maximize network capacity
- Assist Network Operations in troubleshooting with customers and partners
- Expedite restoration of network outages
- Plan, coordinate, and assist in the migration of circuits to consolidate network
- Maintain fiber systems
- Obtain maintenance windows for Spirit Telecommunications member companies
- Manage work orders (WO)
- Work with Network Engineering to maintain capacity and additions
- Performance of other related duries may be required
- Associate Degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in Network Engineering or Provisioning
- Ethernet provisioning knowledge
- Knowledge of TDM network structure and troubleshooting
- Circuit Vision knowledge
- Circuit testing, turn up and troubleshooting
- Experience with MOP (Method of Procedures) creation
- VoIP knowledge and experience
- CCNA certificate desired
- Knowledge of SONET provisioning (Ciena, Nortel, Cisco, Fujitsu, Turin, etc.) Ethernet Platforms 5620 SAM -Alcatel-Lucent and Tellabs
- Knowledge of DWDM Platforms and provisioning (Ciena, Xtera, Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, etc.)
- Knowledge of MPLS Platforms and provisioning (Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, etc.)
Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 25 lbs.
Please visit https://www.spiritcom.com/careers to view current employment opportunities at Spirit Communications. Applicants should apply separately for each position in which they have an interest. Resumes will be given consideration and reviewed against the posted qualifications needed to fill the selected position. You must indicate the specific position for which you are applying to be considered for employment. Resumes submitted without this information will not be considered for employment.
Resumes in response to posted positions should be sent to email@example.com along with salary histories. Spirit Communications is unable to accept resumes to be placed on file.