Spirit Communications has immediate employment opportunities in Rock Hill, SC for an OSP Engineer.
Spirit Communications is a Facilities based /Broadsoft Switch enabled Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia and operates our own Fiber/ MPLS network. This Powerful Network empowers us to provide innovative communication solutions to a cross section of commercial businesses, state and federal government agencies as well as specialized focus with healthcare organizations. Our partnerships with major telecommunications carriers allow Spirit to provide a Carolina’s focus with a Global reach.
New Products include SD-WAN, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions, and a growing security suite featuring Spirit Managed Firewall. Spirit also has an extensive line of managed IT and cloud service solutions.
PalmettoNet, a Spirit Communications company, is one of the largest providers of digital fiber optic networks in the Carolinas. A carrier's carrier with over 5,000 fiber route miles, PalmettoNet serves the needs of prominent telecommunications carriers who provide wireless, wire line interstate, intrastate, Fiber to the Tower and interexchange service.
Spirit is headquartered in Columbia, S.C. and has regional offices in Charleston and Greenville, S.C. as well as Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington N.C, and coming soon Raleigh, N.C., and Georgia.
The OSP Engineer is responsible for designing, permitting, and managing the implementation of all Spirit Communications / PalmettoNet Outside Plant fiber projects to meet committed due dates, budgets and quality specifications.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Some overnight / multi-day travel required
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications to include, but not limited to: Visio and Microsoft Project Management
- Must be detail oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to mulit task effectively, in a somewhat stressful environment
- Must have effective interpersonal skills to interact successfully with customers, management and team members to ensure customer satisfaction
- Must be analytical and have proven problem solving abilities
- Must be able to prioritize and re-prioritize as needed in a fast-paced working environment, especially when dealing with time sensitive issues and mandated deadlines
- Ability to lift a maximum of fifty (50) pounds
- Must successfully pass pre-employment background check & drug screening
- Other related duties as assigned
- Achieve completion of OSP build and/or splice tasks through engineering instruction and diagrams
- Negotiate costs, build relationships, define statements of work, and expedite orders with vendors, engineering design firms, and contractors
- Complete and follow-up with all applicable local governments and entities regarding access rights, permits and fees to launch projects
- Validate commitment dates based on all pre-requisite tasks to be completed
- Effectively communicate clear, concise, and accurate project information as it relates to the schedule, risks, and projected, as well as realized expenses to management, team members, and customers
- Prepare and implement plan deviations to mitigate impact of unplanned and unforeseen factors
- Responsible for driving engineering and contracting firms to meet assigned delivery dates that include circumstances where issues arise – working closely with them to develop solutions as needed
- Verify project conformance to engineering design and document deviations, their cause, and impact
- Contribute to the overall quality of the OSP build process by reviewing, recommending and implementing improved policies and procedures
- Input OSP fiber route data into corporate geo-mapping system as existing, new, and re-route requirements demand
- Bachelor of Science degree in related field, equivalent work experience, or a combination thereof
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in the fiber / telecommunications / telecom construction industry (SG-5 / P1)
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in the fiber / telecommunications / telecom construction industry (SG-6 / P2)
- Previous experience in planning, project management, contract negotiations, and accounting fundamentals
- Experience with building structure conduit/path design.
- Ability to Design/Engineer new, large OSP metro fiber builds or re-routes (some greater than 30 miles)
- Experience with City, County, State, and Railroad permit application process
- Experience with coordinating pole attachment agreements with local utilities
- Experience with ILEC LSO fiber entrance application, scheduling, and implementation processes
Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard potential. Sedentary, sitting, walking, occasional lifting (overhead, waist level) from floor, bending, frequent near vision use for reading and computer use. Independent lifting ability of up to 50 lbs.
Please visit https://www.spiritcom.com/careers to view current employment opportunities at Spirit Communications. Applicants should apply separately for each position in which they have an interest. Resumes will be given consideration and reviewed against the posted qualifications needed to fill the selected position. You must indicate the specific position for which you are applying to be considered for employment. Resumes submitted without this information will not be considered for employment.
Resumes in response to posted positions should be sent to email@example.com along with salary histories. Spirit Communications is unable to accept resumes to be placed on file.