Spirit Communications has immediate employment opportunities in Charleston, SC for a Network Transport Technician.
Spirit Communications is a Facilities based /Broadsoft Switch enabled Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC) in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia and operates our own Fiber/MPLS network. This Powerful Network empowers us to provide innovative communication solutions to a cross section of commercial businesses, state and federal government agencies as well as specialized focus with healthcare organizations. Our partnerships with major telecommunications carriers allow Spirit to provide a Carolina's focus with a Global reach.
New Products include SD-WAN, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solutions, and a growing security suite featuring Spirit Managed Firewall. Spirit also has an extensive line of managed IT and cloud service solutions.
PalmettoNet, a Spirit Communications company, is one of the largest providers of digital fiber optic networks in the Carolinas. A carrier's carrier with over 5,000 fiber route miles, PalmettoNet serves the needs of prominent telecommunications carriers who provide wireless, wire line interstate, intrastate, Fiber to the Tower and interexchange service.
Spirit is headquartered in Columbia, S.C. and has regional offices in Charleston and Greenville, SC as well as Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington, N.C, and coming soon Raleigh, N.C.
The position of Network Transport Technician supports the daily testing and activation requirements of all on and off-net customer based services for transport and data services on Spirit Communication's extensive fiber optic network and maintains systems and facilities in the assigned areas of North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Working with LEC’s, CLEC’s, vendors, internal departments and customers to successfully test and turn up new services as required
- Follow prescribed escalation policies internal and external to ensure customer services are successfully activated within the appropriate time frames
- Accept escalations as provided by Manager
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- 3-5 years direct telecommunications industry or networking experience
- Experience with Nortel, Ciena, X-tera, Fujitsu, Lucent or other DWDM transport equipment
- Experience with DAC's, MI3 MUX's
- Experience with local/remote physical layer testing standards for DS0's, DS1's, DS3's and optical OC3 - OC192
- Experience with Ethernet 10 Meg, 10 Gig, 100 Gig
- Experience with an industry standard telecom ticketing system such as Remedy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access & Microsoft Visio
- Experience with OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometer), Light meters and related equipment
- Ability to read job descriptions and drawings
- Read and understand manufacturer documentation to a high level
- Ability to install hardware, i.e., racks, bays, mount equipment in racks
- Run, lace, and dress ABAM and DS3 cable. Wire wrap DSX1 or install BNC's as needed
- Run, lace, and terminate power cable with lugs
- Terminate power cable into live BDFB or BDFP safely
- Check power cabling for shorts, reversals, and power up equipment
- Log into network elements (NE)
- Provision non-default parameters into NE's
- Ability to perform preventative maintenance on NE's
- Replace circuit packs
- Diagnose and troubleshoot trouble in NE's to the card level
- Perform in-service upgrades to NE's
Skills/K nowledge/Personal Qualities:
- Superior interpersonal skills, ability to work well with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented organizational skills
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, and creativity
- Mature, professional, positive attitude
- Willingness to work on evenings, weekends, holidays and extended hours as required by workload
Please visit https://www.spiritcom.com/careers to view current employment opportunities at Spirit Communications. Applicants should apply separately for each position in which they have an interest. Resumes will be given consideration and reviewed against the posted qualifications needed to fill the selected position. You must indicate the specific position for which you are applying to be considered for employment. Resumes submitted without this information will not be considered for employment.
Resumes in response to posted positions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org along with salary histories. Spirit Communications is unable to accept resumes to be placed on file.